Las Flores Adobe ~ Santa Margarita Valley
The first organizational meeting of the Santa Margarita Chapter, NSDAR, was held on February 23, 1926, at Effie Martin's home in Oceanside, California. Carrie Belle Davis Heilman was the organizing regent. Two subsequent meetings were held, one more in 1926 and another in 1927. With twenty women attending, it was decided to push forward with the forming of the chapter. By May 25, 1929, the name Oceanside, NSDAR, was selected; and dues were established at $3.00 per year. The fourth Saturday of the month was selected as the meeting day. September 28, 1929, has been identified as the date the chapter was organized and October 29, 1929, as the date it was confirmed by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
The name Oceanside Chapter, NSDAR, was changed to the Santa Margarita Chapter, NSDAR, in 1972. Members believed the new name better represented the Santa Margarita Valley, named by Gaspar de Portola in 1769 during his first expedition north from San Diego; the area represented in our membership.
For over eighty years, the Santa Margarita Chapter, NSDAR, has been active in the community; members serving through our chapter initiatives and as volunteers in the many areas that hold personal interests. Members also serve our Society as officers at the district and state levels and as on state and national committees. Since our beginning, we have been women passionate about our past, dedicated to the ideals of our Society, and enjoying the sisterhood of common interests. We have always been
Photos Courtesy of Chapter Members